Day 7, August 4, 2017 - Spearfish, SD to Sturgis, SD and Return

Day 7 - Friday August 4 - Spearfish, SD to Sturgis, SD and Return
Distance:  129km,  Time: 8:00hrs,
Sunny, Hot 30c to 19c
Overnight: Best Western, 540 E. Jackson Blvd, Spearfish, SD (***) Clean but needs some upgrading

This was STURGIS DAY, so the plan was to ride the 20km from Spearfish South on I-90 to Sturgis and spend the day checking out this major event in motorcycle history.  This is the 77th year of Sturgis and it is estimated that over 500,000 motorcycles will be here - again that is 500,000 - not as misprint.

My plan was to arrive before the crowds, so that was a week before - anyway I got there at 9:30 and parked behind JP Cycle, as I was told by the bikers back at the Westerner Motel from South Carolina that is were to park.  Plus I was convinced that my bike would be stolen and all kinds of mayhem would occur - none of that happened by the way.  It was LOUD but civil in a motorcycle way of things, in fact I meet a lot of nice people in Sturgis, including two black guys from Houston TX and we assisted in the classic Sturgis selfie.  I would say that "yes" I did enjoy my one day at Sturgis, it was an epic experience which I think every biker should experience even if you are not on a Harley, it was exciting!

Note the Sturgis Letters on the hillside behind me







Even Frank made it to Sturgis

Nigh time at the Best Western - my bike has the red cover















































































Remember I said LOUD - here is an example, this van was LOUD (very Loud)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Synopsis

Day 15 - August 12, 2017 - Waterton Lakes National Park, AB to Eastend, SK

Day 17 - August 14, 2017 - Carlyle, SK to East Grand Forks, MN