Day 8 - August 5, 2017 - Spearfish, SD to Lewistown, MT

Day 8 - Saturday, August 5, 2017 - Spearfish, SD to Lewistown, MT 
Distance: 742km,  Time: 11:30hrs,
Sunny, Warm (some rain in the AM) 22c to 8c
Overnight: Super 8, 102 Wendell Ave., Lewistown, MT (***) Very Clean good front desk staff - close to two restaurants

This will be a long day, if fact this will be my longest drives of the trip, 742km and it will take almost 12 hours - but I knew that when I designed the routes some months ago.

I did make one unplanned detour to Devils Tower National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm), and of course it rained in the morning so I had to do a wardrobe change on the Interstate, which i don't like doing - dangerous, but worth the drive of about 30km.






























In the video you will see Gus, the Buffalo (he is paid by the Park Service to hang out for tourists) and some friends from Texas (the long horn guys) they are on vacation.

After my photo stop at Devils Tower I pushed North from Wyoming back into Montana via Hulett, WY but made a mistake in not getting gas.  Check out Google street view of Hulett, taken in August of 2015, with thousands of Sturgis riders parked on the main street.  After about 200km from my start I was down to 1 bar on the gas gage and I thought I would have about 30km left or maybe 50km.  Anyway I found gas at Alzada, MT, at the junction of US212 and MT326, regular no 91 gas but gas is gas right.

The road I took from Hulett to Alzada was interesting, passed by what on first take was a Air Force ICBM site, with some kind of mobile radar equipment and a truck with a missile launcher on it - a bit strange.  It was not to when I got home and examined the photos in detail, the equipment was made of plywood - but an excellent decoy perhaps it was to throw off foreign satellite observations into thinking it was real.

Not real - plywood




























Next Gas stop will be in Lame Deer, which is on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation, and onward to I-90, I think in hindsight it would have been quicker to go back to I-90 when I was at the Devils Tower, but then I would not have found the plywood Air Force - which was very cool.

Next stop will be Billings (gas again).  Billings has some major oil refining infrastructure as you come into town, so they are doing OK.

After Billings it is back on US#87 and North to Roundup and then Grass Range (4 way stop only) and onto Lewistown for the night - it was a very long day - saw a lot, and learned to always get gas.































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Synopsis

Day 15 - August 12, 2017 - Waterton Lakes National Park, AB to Eastend, SK

Day 17 - August 14, 2017 - Carlyle, SK to East Grand Forks, MN